I’m a Weapon by Sean Robins Book Review
I’m a Weapon by Sean Robins
Jack has been alive for less than an hour when he is sent into a disastrous battle. He is a combat android built to obey orders, but he immediately begins asking questions his commanders would rather he didn’t: Why should he sacrifice himself? Does being made as a weapon mean he has to act like one?
That questioning gives I’m a Weapon its heart. Jack’s growing independence emerges through his choices, especially when he encounters civilians caught under military occupation. He can calculate risks and casualties in an instant, yet he struggles to understand why helping strangers matters so much to him. His relationships with the people he protects make that change convincing and give the action an emotional purpose.
Robins writes Jack with a lively, irreverent voice. His literal interpretations, dry observations, and fascination with human culture bring humor to grim battlefield scenes. The combat and escape sequences move quickly, while the larger conflict raises questions about obedience, freedom, and whether a person is defined by their design or their actions.
At times, the jokes arrive so frequently that they soften the impact of moments that deserve more room to breathe. The ending also opens a much larger conflict, so readers looking for a fully self-contained story may find it more of a beginning than a conclusion.
Still, Jack is an engaging narrator, and his decision to choose his own purpose makes this an enjoyable start to the I, Anomaly series. I would recommend it to readers who like action-heavy science fiction with an unusually funny and increasingly thoughtful android at its center.
Amazon Review: